Social Engagement for Budgetary Accountability (SEBA)
In Bangladesh we have a long tradition of silence especially at the public bureaucracy and local government level. Local government representatives have lack of initiative to let people know about their allocation and resources. Most of them try to avoid the process of giving out information to the citizens. Due to this practice local citizens consider local government bodies as corrupt and dysfunctional institution. Due to the negative image of local government community people are not keen to participate planning and decision making process. LGSP-II project has set some important indicators in order to improve the overall scenario but the situation has not changed desirably. Lack of citizen's participation in UP Budget process prevails in many UPs. In this context, Democracywatch is pleased to submit this proposal entitled "Enhancing Community Engagement in Union Parisad Budget for Promoting Social Accountability" to establish citizen oversight in local planning, budgeting and budget implementation process.
The overall objective
of the project is to enhance the capacity of local government
structures and communities towards social engagement for budgetary
accountability in nine union parisad of kalihati Upazila of
Tangail District in Bangladesh. A research area will be established
outside the project District for regular monitoring in view
of assessing the project progress and measure its impacts.
It is very difficult to estimate as multiple factors are in place in UP activities, but specific measures will be taken in close collaboration with localgovernment, mandated organisations, dedicated project teams and other relevant stakeholders in this regard. This can be measured by the number of policy and programme related measures taken in joint partnership with the Government of Bangladesh at national level.
This project aims
at promoting community demand towards Union Parisad and Local
government's responsiveness to community needs, local planning
and budget efficiency with an especial focus to LGSP-II.
core objective of the project: :
Schemes implemented by Union Parishads using Union Parishads budget (particularly block grants) are more effective (in terms of quality, timeliness and compliance with environmental and social frameworks) and responsive to community needs leading to increased satisfaction and benefits of the community people.
Specific objectives of the project are:
- To increase budgetary transparency of Union Parishads by ensuring free flow of information in line with Union Parishad Act, 2009, Union Parishad Operations Manual and Right to Information Act, 2009.
- To make the Union Parishad representatives more accountable to the people for planning, budgeting and using Union Parishad fund.
- To ensure more inclusive planning and budgeting by Union Parishad through greater participation of cross section of people especially women, poor and marginalized groups.
Project activities includes situation analysis in UP level to identify loopholes and opportunities of improving budgetary transparency of targeted Union Parisad, training need assessment for revitalize exiting structure, provide hands on training fulfilling their requirements, advocacy activities for educate peoples and mobilize public opinion for ensuring Ups service delivery and creates a local level public-private network consisting all Local government stakeholders to create a broader platform for disseminate the information to a wider community. The specific activities of this project is as follow-
for community monitoring groups/support groups on LGSP and
SA tools (2 days) (30 participants)
2. Refreshers Training/orientation for community monitoring groups/support groups on LGSP and SA tools (2 days)
3. Training/orientation UPs (WC& SSC) to exercises of Social Accountability tools (day long)
4. Training/orientation UPs (WC& SSC) on RTI
5. Project inception workshop ( district level with DC, UNO, DDLG, UP representatives and Standing committee)
6. Formation of community monitoring groups/support groups (27 member)
7. Bi-Monthly Meeting with community monitoring groups/support groups
8. Social Mapping
9. Installed suggestion boxes in the Union Parishad
10. Inception meeting at UP level
11. Implement of community scorecards
12. Installation (display) of community action plan
13. Conduct Social Audit
14. Public hearing
15. Regional level roundtable meeting on Social Accountability
# of Union
|Dhaka||Tangail||Kalihati||9 Ups||( Name of Ups: Durgapur, Dasakia, Narandia, Solla, Gohaliabari, Parkhi, Paikora, Kokdahora & Bolla)|